Campbell came to us with a specific challenge – could we build a better set of wheels than the Dura Ace C24, at (or better than) their online price?
It’s always a tough challenge to compete with some of the online bargain houses, but knowing that some of these super light system wheels can have significant compromises, we took on the challenge!
The C24s are a good light wheelset, with lovely hubs. Rim wear is an issue though, as to reach such light weights, Shimano has specified a very thin walled rim. XLR8 receives requests frequently to replace rims on these wheelsets, often with only 5-10,000km of use. Shimano does sell replacement rims, but they are pretty expensive, so not really economic to repair. This is the reason why there are some many of these hubs for sale on eBay!
In order to ensure that Campbell would have a great service life from his wheels, we specced a pair of White Industries T11 hubs in polished silver. These hubs will serve him well, and are a great investment – they should last many wheelbuilds.
The Kinlin XR-300 was selected as a light, aero (30mm deep) and super stiff rear rim. A lower profile (26mm) XLR8 Rouleur Mk1 was selected for the front – lighter than the rear rim, but still impressively stiff.
Sapim Race double butted spokes were used on the rear, and super lightweight and aero Sapim Lasers on the front.
An added bit of tricknology was using Sapim Alloy nipples in red on the front wheel, and the rear non-drive side. For ongoing reliability, Sapim brass nipples were used on the rear driveside – where the greatest spoke tensions are evident.
So how did we go compared to the DA C24s?
- We beat their online price.
- The wheels are significantly stiffer (greater spoke count, stiffer rims – this often means more reliable as well).
- The hubs are just as good, if not better.
- The hubs can be reused when the rim brake tracks wear out. In our experience, several times.
- If a rim is damaged in an accident, replacements are economically available.
- The wheels are likely more aero due to the deeper, smoother rim sections.
- With XLR8 skewers, our wheelset is about the same weight.
Not bad eh?
Get in contact, if you have a challenge for XLR8.